Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My New Ride...Has Many Leather-bound Books and Smells of Rich Mahogany

Anyone who has seen my car (1999 Buick Regal) knows that it's had a rough life. Dents from the time I ran into a hay bale, tape holding together a shattered mirror and tail light, broken windows, missing speakers, rusty doors, failing engine, headlight kit hanging by a thread...it was beyond time for a new car. Unfortunately, that isn't a luxury this unemployed student can afford! Luckily, I am blessed to have a loving family that steps in just when I need it most. In a recent trip to Florida (for Grandma Pileggi's funeral), my Grandpa (on the other side of the family) handed me the title and keys to his car - he is in poor health and can no longer drive it himself. He said he can't think of anyone he'd rather give it to, so I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Buick Century! UPGRADE!!!!!!!!!!! It only has 60,000 miles on it and is in great condition. No tape on this sucker, and I plan on doing my best to avoid hay bales. 

Due to its sentimental value, I figured this car deserved a proper name. Since childhood, we have always named our cars (a tradition started by my dad). There was Buster, the orange Volkswagon bus, Fritz, the 1983 Mercedes, and now...Ron Burgundy will join the ranks. Maybe with a name like Ron Burgundy I can stay in touch with my sense of humor as I endure, as a good friend put it, my 'fate of always driving a old person's car'. But hey, it runs, and it really helps me out financially. Thanks, Gramps! 

So...I decided that any car named Ron Burgundy deserved a proper mustache, so it was craft time. First, I attached two jump rings to a small silver chain, then cut my pattern out of foam craft sheets and fabric.
Next, I glued the fabric 'staches to the foamie ones.
Then I secured the chain in place and glued both sides together.
And that was it! Easy peasy. It was time to hang my creation. It's not perfect, but it makes me smile.


And so I leave you with a quote from the original Ron Burgundy...


3 comments:

Genevieve Gail said...

3 cheers for Ron! Rockin' the stache!

The Robust Buffet said...

Can we ride in it to he pancake breakfast? We do it every month.

Heather said...

Love it, love it, love it...and YOU!!