Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Author Study


At long last, I am on what seems to be the downhill side of my 15 weeks of student teaching, so my after-school life finally has a little wiggle room. So to celebrate my extra time, I would like to share something with you! 

Being around kids all the time has really oped my eyes to some great children's literature. Right now we are doing an Author Study on Chris Van Allsburg (he's actually the guy who wrote/illustrated Jumanji and Polar Express - a few titles you may be familiar with since they were both made into movies). Actually, in the picture from my last post, I had the students read several different (awesome) authors, create posters and do persuasive presentations on their authors, and then the class voted on which author we should do the study on...and Chris Van Allsburg won!


If you get a chance to, check this guy out! (The video is a little long - 23 min. - but if you're just sitting around...) He's amazing and super interesting, and I kinda want to be his best friend. His books are unique, suspenseful, and always have some sort of unexpected twist and leave you with that, "Huh! Hmmmm...Woa!" feeling. This week we are reading and discussing the following C.V.A. books:

(I can't wait to read that last one - He came up with the idea for the story whilst watching his young daughter color, and it's written from the p.o.v. of the people that "live" inside a coloring book - GENIUS!!)

No comments: